Building & Code Enforcement Contact Info


David Cunningham

Building Code 

phone icon (518) 239-6122 ext. 4
phone icon (518) 337-7410 (cell)
fax icon (518) 239-4140
email icon Email

house 7309 Route 81
     East Durham, NY 12423



Mark Overbaugh

Code Enforcement Officer 

phone icon(518) 239-6122 ext. 4
phone icon (518) 947-9981 (cell)
fax icon (518) 239-4140
email iconEmail

house 7309 Route 81
     East Durham, NY 12423


Monday - Thursday: 8am - 10am


Building Inspector Office Hours: 
By appointment only

If you wish to meet with the building inspector or the code enforcement officer, please call ahead, as they may have scheduled field appointments.


Building & Code Enforcement

Please visit to obtain current NYS Environmental Review forms and documents.


BUILDING INSPECTOR: receives and reviews building applications, performs inspections, issues certificates of compliance and certificates of occupancy.  


CODE ENFORCEMENT OFFICER:  is responsible for enforcement of local regulations pertaining to land use, and the Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code, and the Flood Prevention Ordinance.  The code enforcement officer also receives and approves all building permits, and performs inspections on building projects.  Additionally, the code enforcement officer is charged with performing periodic fire inspections. 

A Building Permit is required for any work that requires compliance to state or local codes such as but not limited to:

  • All additions to a building
  • sheds
  • decks
  • fences
  • porches (both enclosed and open)
  • interior/exterior renovations structural in nature (such as roofs, new walls, doors and windows, finished basements, plumbing and electrial work)  

It is best to call the Building/Code department to inquire if a permit is needed before the project is started.  

House numbers: New York State building code requires residents to provide emergency vehicles with house numbers that are at least 4 inches in height on the front of every residence.   You will need to contact Greene County 911 at 518-622-2739 if you do not have or don't know your 911 number (Please provide them with your Section Block and Lot for the property).  The Town of Durham will supply the initial house number plate. Should you need a replacement you will need to request one from the building department and there will a replacement fee.