Town Clerk Contact Info

  • Janet Patridge

  • Town Clerk / Tax Collector
  • phone icon (518) 239-6122
  • fax icon (518) 239-4140
  • email icon Email
  • Office Hours

  • Monday: 8am - 3pm
  • Tuesday: 8am - 3pm
  • Wednesday: 8am-3pm
  • Thursday: 8am-3pm
  • Or By Appointment

The Durham Valley Scenic Byway

The natural beauty of the Durham Valley is without parallel in the Catskill region.  With its combination of rolling hills and the extraordinary backdrop of the Catskill Mountains, the Valley is considered one of the most beautiful places in the whole of New York State.

The Scenic Byway is a 22-mile corridor that accesses the northernmost escarpment of the Catskill Mountains, stretching from Mount Pisgah, along the Ginseng Ridge, and past Windham High Peak.  Spectacular views from the upper elevations encompass thick woodlands, idyllic pasturelands, and working hay fields crisscrossed by the Durham Valley’s tumbling waterfalls, streams and creeks.  Man-made elements also entice the traveler – the Valley boasts historic 19th century villages with their churches and cemeteries, one-room schoolhouses, stone walls and stone arch bridges, all accessible on scenic roads with breathtaking views.  According to the Sierra Club’s Alan Gussow: “The Durham Valley is an area of unusual natural and scenic beauty.”


Durham Valley Scenic Byways Corridor Management Plan

Historic Resources Reconnaissance Survey 1997

  pdf NYS Scenic Roadways Designation (477 KB)

  pdf Durham Valley Scenic Byway Brochure (1.72 MB)

Clerk FAQ's

A couple who intends to be married in New York State must apply in person for a marriage license to any town or city clerk in the state. The application for a license must be signed by both applicants in the presence of the town or city clerk. A representative cannot apply for the license on behalf of the applicants. This applies even if the representative has been given a Power of Attorney. Notarized marriage license affidavits signed by the applicants cannot be substituted for their personal appearance.

Yes. Although the marriage license is issued immediately, the marriage ceremony may not take place within 24 hours from the exact time that the license was issued. When both applicants are 16 years of age or older, the 24-hour waiting period may be waived by an order of a justice of the Supreme Court or a judge of the County Court of the county in which either of the applicants resides. If either person is under 16 years of age, the order must be from the Family Court judge of the county in which the person under 16 years of age resides.

A marriage license is valid for 60 calendar days, beginning the day after it is issued.

If the marriage license is issued by a town or city clerk in New York State outside of New York City, it costs $40. This fee includes the issuance of a Certificate of Marriage Registration. This certificate is automatically sent by the issuing clerk to the applicants within 15 calendar days after the completed license is returned by the officiant (person who performs the marriage ceremony). It serves as notice that a record of the marriage is on file. Couples who do not receive a Certificate of Marriage Registration within four weeks of the wedding should contact the town or city clerk who issued the license.

You obtain a dog license at the Town Clerk’s office for the town in which you are a resident.

Dog licenses are good for one year and expire on the last day of the last month for which it is issued.

Dog licenses are not transferable.  If the dog is given to a new owner then that owner must immediately license the dog in their name and receive a new tag.

Your dog must have proof of current rabies vaccination.  If the vaccination expires the same month as the license renews you will need to get a new rabies vaccination before the Town Clerk can renew the license.

If your dog is spayed or neutered the fee to license your dog is $10.00.  If your dog is not spayed or neutered the fee is $18.00.

If your dog should lose its license tag you will need to notify the Town Clerk and purchase a new tag for $5.00.

If you are 65 years or older you can license your spayed or neutered dog for $5.00 and if your dog is not spayed or neutered you can license it for $13.00.